Family Promise of Greater Orlando (formerly IHN) exists to help homeless and low-income families achieve sustainable independence. Unlike most agencies, Family Promise uses a comprehensive approach that keeps families together as counselors help them seek permanent housing, employment, day care, health care and other services necessary to achieve independence and return to mainstream life. Follow-up counseling is also provided.
“Host weeks” are an integral part of the program. Support congregations provide overnight accommodations and meals–at their churches–for three or four families with children for one week at a time on a rotating schedule. University Carillon is one of FP’s host congregations.
Many people are required to fully staff the host week at the church, so inquiries and volunteers are welcome. (For training please click on this link to watch the Family Promise Volunteer Training Video )
The Big Picture of Family Promise:
- There are over 200 Family Promise affiliates in 41 states (ten in the state of Florida)
- More than 180,000 volunteers are mobilized from coast to coast in a commitment to building communities and strengthening lives.
- This is the ONLY program that allows single fathers to be housed with their children
- Since its founding more than 20 years ago, affiliates have serviced over 500,000 people (most of whom are children)
- FP’s proven approach has helped nearly 82% percent of client secure housing.